Sunday, February 25, 2007

Babies


I've loved babies, probably since I was a baby? I should say all my life. My Mom was always taking care of other peoples babies and I was always fascinated with them. Then when I was 9 I babysat for the first time for a 6 month old boy for 30 minutes while his grandma and my Mom went to the grocery store, It would be a few more years until I babysat regularly. But, when I did I loved it and was popular with both the kids and parents.

So, by the time I married in 1966 I was SOOOOOO anxious to have a baby. We used no birth control and every month I was disappointed every fourth Friday when my period would arrive without fail.

Four years later circumstances made it a bad idea to become pregnant. So I stopped anticipating. I'd been having a lot of UTIs and was scheduled for x-rays. The day before I called to say that for the first time since I started having them, my period was nine days late. I was told to bring in a urine sample. I delivered it the next morning and waited for my appointment. I was ushered into the doctor and sat down.

"I wouldn't x-ray you for all the tea in China," he said to me.

"Why?"

"Because the test was positive."

"For what?"

"You are pregnant."

I was so thrilled.! I told everyone I passed on the way home.

I should go see if I can find the picture my Mom took of me the day before Lucky was born.

I had gestational diabetes that was called "Class A diabetes" then, at about 36 weeks I was hospitalized because of weight gain. My bed was foot to foot with a woman with a heart condition who was having twins and my! what a mountain! On my right was a young woman from Trinidad who was too sick to keep anything but saltines down for three months. I had a doctor who wore clogs. We all laughed about it and giggled when we heard him coming. I was anxious to get out of there and remember all my roommates cheering for me.
After three weekly visits with the doctor telling me I would deliver at any moment I was induced on May 28, 1971.
Now I will need to go find a new born pic of Lucky. I will post this first because of how long it took me to find the prego pic, scan and post it. The greatest amount of time was spent browsing through all the albums. It was very pleasant and I recommend it.

4 comments:

  1. Yeah! I am so happy you are back! You're not thinking of having another one are you??(hehe) You were a fabulously beautiful pregnancy lady!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm glad you're back too. I also can't believe you're old enough to have a 35 year old!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love that picture! You look radiant :) What a blessing that you were finally able to conceive a child. It seems that more people than not have some kind of trouble getting pregnant. It only took 8 months with our second one but I was already really worried. Like periods aren't bad enough...

    ReplyDelete
  4. Awe... what a fun read! Especially since it's about ME :o) Didn't realize you had gestational diabetes with me (I did with my first too - you know that but that's for your readers). Funny the things I remember and what I don't. I know you've told me before.

    ReplyDelete

A pony for your thoughts.